‘Tis the season for friends, family, and holiday feasts—but also for possible distress for our animal companions. Pets won’t be so thankful if they munch on undercooked turkey or an unfriendly floral arrangement, or if they stumble upon an unattended alcoholic drink.
Watch out for those tempting nibbles!
Chocolate, raisins, garlic, onions or onion powder, sage, yeast dough, potato, and tomato leaves and stems, and alcohol are all plentiful this holiday season, and all are toxic to our pets. Be sure to keep your pet out of the kitchen and away from any toxic foods, and any hot ovens their curious noses might try to peek into this Thanksgiving.
But those sweet, begging eyes
It’s hard when your pets look at you with their sweet eyes, begging for a taste of the delicious Thanksgiving meal you’ve just cooked. A small taste of mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie shouldn’t cause an issue, but just don’t leave your pets wishing they had a pair of sweatpants to put on after dinner too. Any more than the tiniest taste is too much for your pet and can cause an upset stomach. And, if you can’t resist and give your pet a tiny nibble of turkey, be sure it’s well-cooked and boneless.
Want to provide your pet their own Thanksgiving dinner?
Fill a Kong with some watered-down chicken broth, some unseasoned sweet potatoes, and a dab of pumpkin. Then pop it in the freezer the night before. They’ll be occupied, and feel pretty lucky, while you’re sat around the table enjoying your feast, feeling pretty lucky for having them.