Are you ready to welcome your new best friend into your life? We process adoptions in two different ways depending on where the animal is currently located.
Adopting an Animal Who is at One of Our Locations
- Start on our adoptable animals pages. You can view all of our adoptable dogs and cats right now.
- Visit our location to adopt! Once you’ve found an animal (or more) who is a good match and listed as being at one of our locations, come to us to adopt! Please visit our Atlanta page to see our adoption hours.
Adopting an Animal Who is in a Foster Home
- Start on our adoptable animals pages. You can view all of our adoptable dogs and cats right now. Take time reading their biographies so you can learn more about them and decide if they’re a good fit for your family and lifestyle.
- Apply to adopt. Once you’ve found an animal who is a good match, fill out a pre-adoption application form.
- We’ll be in touch. When your application is received, we’ll be in contact within 48-72 hours via email or text to let you know that you’ve been placed in a queue for the animal or via phone to schedule a meet and greet.
- Meet your new best friend! Our team will set up a meet and greet with you and the pet and will be available to answer any questions you might have.
- Finalize the adoption. If you’re ready to adopt, our adoption counselors will process your adoption and adoption fee virtually. Our adoption fees are cashless and touchless. You will be asked to submit your adoption fee via a secured payment processing link located on our website. We accept all major credit and debit cards.
- Take home your new friend. Once this virtual adoption process is complete, you’re all set and ready to start a new journey with your best friend. We’ll be here for you post-adoption, too. If you ever have any questions, visit our pet care resources page.
Each animal’s adoption fee is listed on their individual page. Our adoption fees vary for each animal and help support our mission. The cost for us to care for our animals prior to adoption almost always exceeds an animal’s adoption fee. Our varying adoption fees help us ensure we can continue to care for animals in great need, including those who require extensive rehabilitation and/or are in our care for an extended period of time.
While adoption fees do vary from animal to animal, and we recommend you look at the animal’s biography page for their specific adoption fee, below is a rough guideline on our fees:
- Kitten under 1 year old: $175
- Cats 1 year and older: $75
- Puppies under 1 year old: $375
- Small dogs less than 30 pounds: $375
- Adult dogs 1 year and older and more than 30 pounds: $175
Notes Regarding Adoption
- Atlanta Humane reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason.
- Adopters will be asked to complete a pre-adoption application.
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old with a valid picture I.D.
- If you lease or rent, you will be asked to receive permission from your landlord or the primary resident prior to adoption. The Atlanta Humane Society reserves the right to contact your landlord for verification.