Adopt a Pet
Finding Your Best Friend
Are you ready to adopt? Great! We’ve outlined everything you need to know before adopting your new best friend. Each animal at our shelter has their own story, and we want to make sure your next chapter together is filled with health, love, and friendship. We take special steps to make sure both you and your future pet are ready to find one another.
The Full Rundown
At the Atlanta Humane Society, we want to ensure that each and every animal has the best chance of finding their forever home. That’s why, prior to adoption, each pet gets a complete evaluation to ensure they’re healthy and ready to meet you.
All of our adoptable pets receive:
- A healthy pet examination from our Shelter Medicine Team, including a personalized medical assessment and treatment plan if needed.
- A behavior evaluation as well as enrichment and training while in our care.
- All age-appropriate vaccinations and deworming.
- Our dogs and puppies receive regular flea, tick, and heartworm protection while in our care, and our cats and kittens receive regular flea and tick preventative.
- A microchip to help ensure a safe return if your pet ever gets lost.
The Atlanta Humane Society wants to make sure that you and your new pet’s journey starts off right. Once all of the paperwork is completed, we’ll send you home with goodies to help your pet get settled in.
Our adoptable pets go home with:
- A Healthy Start Certificate at VCA Animal Hospitals towards an initial exam and health guarantee within 10 days of adoption.
- 30 days of pet insurance from MetLife, including:
- $500 of coverage for accidents & illnesses
- 100% reimbursement after a $50 deductible for covered accidents & illnesses
- Use any licensed vet, emergency clinic, or specialist in the United States
The Foster First Program
First impressions mean a lot, but we understand that sometimes it might take a few days to determine if you and your pet are going to get along. Our Foster First Program gives you the opportunity to take an animal home for up to 14 days before deciding if they are the perfect fit for you and your family. Throughout this time, you’ll have the full support of our Foster and Adoption Teams in case you have any questions along the way.
Finding love can take time. And for some animals, it’s taken a little longer than we hoped to find a perfect home. Some of them are long-term residents while others, for reasons out of their control, have been overlooked. We hope you’ll considering adopting one of these special animals and giving them the life they deserve.
American Heroes Adoption Program
We’re proud of our American Heroes and what they do to keep our country moving. That’s why we offer a discount on all dog and cat adoptions through our American Heroes Adoption Program for first responders, current servicemen/women and veterans, all healthcare workers, and members of the National Association of Independent Truckers.
If you qualify to adopt through this program, please let an adoption counselor know and be prepared to show proof of employment during the adoption process.
Are you looking for a specific type of pet? We have you covered! Sign up for our Pet Alerts to be notified when a specific breed or type of animal becomes available for adoption. Once you fill out the form, you’ll receive real-time notifications through your email or text the moment a dog or cat meeting your criteria becomes available for adoption.