Foster Adoption Application
Are you interested in adopting a specific animal who is in a foster home with the Atlanta Humane Society? Complete the pre-adoption application below to get started. Applications are on a first-come, first-served basis. Many animals may receive multiple applications, so please note that filling out this adoption application does not guarantee your adoption.
Looking to adopt an animal currently located at our shelter? Click here to view the adoption process for in-shelter animals.
Foster Application Process
- Pre-Adoption Application: Your first step in new pet ownership is completing your pre-adoption application. Our pre-adoption application is live and accessible on this page Tuesday through Sunday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. This ensures we can process adoptions efficiently and remove animals from our website quickly once they receive an application.
- Application Received: You’ll immediately receive an email notification letting you know we’ve received your application. Please note that we will only use your email for communication about your adoption application and will not add you to any mailing list. To ensure you continue to receive email updates, be sure to pull the email from any ‘other’ category into your main mailbox and add our email address to your list of contacts.
- We’ll be in touch with you: Depending on the number of applications on the animal you’re interested in, one of two things will happen:
- You’ll be placed into an email queue: We are working to pull animals off the website as quickly as we can once they receive an application for adoption, but this is a manual process and we receive multiple adoption applications on individual animals. Because of this, it is possible that you’ll be placed into a queue after we receive your application. If there are other applications ahead of you, you will receive an email every 3 days to inform you that you’re still in our queue. We’ll reach out to let you know if the animal is adopted or if the applications ahead of you fell through. Please note that the timeline for this process varies greatly, but you’ll continue to receive emails updating you on your queue status. We will be in contact when we remove you from the queue, and you will be removed from the queue as soon as you are scheduled for a meet and greet or to let you know that the animal was adopted by someone else.
- Or we’ll call/text you: If you’re the first person to submit an application on the animal, an adoption counselor will call you within 48-72 hours at the number you provide on your application. If you miss our call, we ask that you respond within 24 hours to schedule your meet and greet appointment. If we do not hear from you within 24 hours of calling, we will cancel your application and move to the next adopter in the queue.
Interested in more than one animal?
Our virtual process works best if you have one active application at a time, and we ask that you only submit an application on the animal you are most interested in. If the animal you apply for is no longer available or has other applications on them, our team will let you know. We encourage you to apply for another animal at this point. We appreciate your excitement around adoption, but please do not submit multiple applications on multiple animals at once. Doing this complicates our system and creates longer adoption processes for all.
Coming from PetFinder or Adopt-A-Pet?
Unfortunately, our animals do not sync in real time to these pages and an animal you just saw up for adoption on other websites like Petfinder and Adopt-a-Pet may no longer be available for adoption. Before submitting your application, please visit our dog page or cat page to be sure the animal you’re interested in is still listed. If the animal is no longer listed on our pages, it means that they have been, or are in the process of being, adopted.
Our pre-adoption application is currently available.
Please be sure to have the ID number of the pet you’re interested in for reference. This can be found on their detail’s page. The application is two parts and will ask for your information as well as some questions about what you’re looking for in a pet. This will help assist our adoption counselors when they speak to you on the phone and prep them for any questions that you might have.
Where is the pre-adoption application form?
If you’re on this page Tuesday through Sunday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and do not see the pre-adoption application form, please click refresh or try again in 5 minutes.