ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ADOPTING A DOG OR CAT?
We have lots of wonderful animals to fall in love with here at Atlanta Humane Society and when you’re ready, one of our adoption counselors will help you through the process.
How to Adopt
The basic requirements for adoption from the Atlanta Humane Society are as follows:
- You must be at least 18 years of age with a valid picture I.D.
- If you lease or rent, you must have permission from your landlord or the primary resident where you live prior to adoption.
- If adopting a dog that is 4 months and older, Atlanta Humane Society requires you bring in your dog for an official “meet and greet.”
- Any children 5 years of age and under will be required to be present at the time of adoption.
- Atlanta Humane Society does not authorize adoptions to be “gifts.” The person who will be considered the owner of the pet must be present and go through the adoption process.
- You will be asked to complete a preliminary questionnaire prior to adoption.
NOTE: The Atlanta Humane Society reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason. We do not hold animals, nor does the submission of the Adoption Questionnaire entitle you to any particular animal.
Please do not try to adopt in a hurry. Weekends are busy and you may have to wait more than an hour (especially in the afternoons) so please be prepared. The Atlanta Humane Society reserves the right to refuse adoptions.
Prices are listed on each individual animal’s page. Forms of payment are cash, Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Please note we can not accept personal checks. The adoption fee includes:
- The initial vaccinations and de-worming (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens), which will have been given.
- A wellness visit at a local VCA clinic within 5 days of the adoption and 14 days of follow-up care.
- An identifying microchip inserted under the pet’s skin (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens) with free, initial registration for your pet in the 24PetWatch database.
- The surgical sterilization (applicable to dogs, cats, puppies and kittens) of your adopted pet.
There are additional vaccinations required that will be at the new owner’s expense. The AHS cannot reimburse for any medical bills incurred. If you have any questions, please ask a staff member during the adoption process.
Ready to adopt the love of your life? How to find us.