ARE YOU INTERESTED IN ADOPTING A DOG OR CAT?
We have lots of wonderful animals to fall in love with here at Atlanta Humane Society and when you’re ready, one of our adoption counselors will help you through the process. We are here to help 7 days a week so please call 404-875-5331 or email email@example.com with any questions you may have.
How to Adopt
- Come visit our adoptable animals at either location during our adoption hours listed here.
- The adoption interview and paperwork usually takes about an hour to complete (including waiting time) and you will take your adopted animal with you when the adoption paperwork is completed. Please do not try to adopt in a hurry.
- Adoptions are cut off every day about 30 minutes prior to closing and possibly earlier if volume is high. Weekends are busy and you may have to wait more than an hour (especially in the afternoons) so please be prepared.
- AHS does not hold animals and all adoptions are done on a first come, first served basis.
- AHS accepts debit cards, credit cards and cash for adoption fees; we do not accept personal checks.
Basic Requirements for Adoption
The Atlanta Humane Society reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason.
- Adopters will be asked to complete a preliminary adoption questionnaire.
- Adopters must be 18 years old with a valid picture I.D.
- If you lease or rent, get permission from your landlord or the primary resident prior to adoption. AHS reserves the right to contact your landlord for verification.
- Any children 5 years of age and under living in the home will be required to meet the animal prior to adopting.
- If adopting a dog that is 4 months and older, Atlanta Humane Society requires you bring in any other dog(s) living in the home for a “meet and greet.”
- Atlanta Humane Society does not authorize adoptions as gifts. The person who will be considered the primary owner of the pet must be present to go through the adoption process.
Individual adoption fees are listed on each animal’s page on our website and kennel card on our adoption floor. Typical adoption fees are:
- Puppies 5 months of age and younger: $175
- Dogs 6 months of age and older: $100
- Kittens 5 months of age and younger: $100*
- Cats 6 months of age and older: NO ADOPTION FEE
*Cats are always 2-Purr-1: any two cats or kittens may be adopted together for one adoption fee.
Adoption fee includes:
- Initial vaccinations and deworming
- Spay or neuter
- A wellness exam at a local VCA clinic within 5 days of adoption and 14 days of follow up care from the Howell Mill Animal Wellness Clinic
- An identifying microchip inserted under your pet’s skin with initial registration in the database
- A collar and Atlanta Humane Society identification tags
- A 4 pound bag of the Purina One dry food the animal has been eating during his or her stay with AHS
- Cardboard carrier (cats only)
Any vaccinations required post-adoption will be at the adopter’s expense. AHS does not reimburse for veterinary expenses incurred after adopting.
Frequently Asked Adoption Questions
- I saw an animal online, is it still available? Our website is updated in real time as animals come and go from the adoption floor. As long as the animal’s information is listed, the animal is currently available for adoption. Please note that there are times when an animal is in the process of being adopted and will be momentarily unavailable but still listed on the website until the adoption is submitted in our system.
- I am on the way to adopt that animal, can you hold it for me? Can I pay the adoption fee today and come back later to pick it up? AHS does not hold animals and all adoptions are done on a first come, first served basis. Once the adoption is completed and the fee is paid, you must take the animal with you at that time.
- What is your return policy? AHS believes in finding permanent, loving homes for animals and does not offer “trial” adoptions. We do, however, understand that sometimes an adopted animal turns out to be a poor match for their new home. Animals adopted from Atlanta Humane Society may be returned at any point during their life to the admissions department which is open 7 days a week from 9am-3pm. The animal must be returned by the person who adopted the animal and the $40 surrender fee must be paid. AHS does not provide refunds or exchanges for adoption fees.
- How big will this puppy get? Puppies can be expected to grow to 6-8 times their weight at 8 weeks of age. AHS staff may give you an estimate of your puppy’s adult weight but we are unable to make any guarantees. If size is a large concern, please consider adopting a fully grown adult dog.
- What should I bring with me to adopt? Please be sure to bring a photo ID and cash or a credit card for the adoption fee (personal checks are NOT accepted). The primary caregiver is required to be present to go through the adoption process. Any children 5 and under and, in some cases, any existing dogs living in the home will be required to be present and meet the animal prior to adopting.
- I saw an animal that I’m interested in on your website but it doesn’t have any photos. Can you send me some? AHS relies on our volunteers to take photos for us and we post them as soon as we are able to, usually within a few days of the animal coming available for adoption. Highly adoptable animals are frequently adopted before any photos are posted so interested adopters are discouraged from waiting for a photo to come meet any animal they are interested in adopting.
- Can you tell me this animal’s history? Is it housebroken? Does it get along with cats, other dogs or children? AHS will share whatever information is available about an animal’s previous home(s) during the adoption process but we rarely know their entire history. Just because an animal was reported to be housebroken and get along with children in the last home, doesn’t necessarily mean they will act the same in their new home. Adopters should be prepared to do some housetraining with any animal adopted from us. Children and other dogs living even part time in the home are encouraged to meet the dog prior to adoption to help determine compatibility.
- Can you alert me when the type of animal I’m looking for comes available? Interested adopters are encouraged to check AHS’ website frequently for an updated list of available animals. We do not currently have a system to alert a potential adopter when a specific breed/type of animal becomes available.
Ready to adopt the love of your life? How to find us.