The first step to performing community service duties with the Atlanta Humane Society is to attend a MANDATORY community service orientation. Community service orientations are held at both campuses on Wednesdays at 9:30am SHARP. Please read below for further details.
**THERE WILL BE NO HOWELL MILL ROAD ORIENTATION ON 5/22/2013 **
The Atlanta Humane Society’s Community Service program is provided for individuals 16 and older who are completing community service for school, work, court, or a club. Community Service opportunities are available 7 days a week, including holidays. Community Service individuals assist employees with the daily duties at the shelter, such as cleaning cages, washing dishes, shredding newspaper, folding laundry, and other duties as assigned. Community Service workers do not directly work with animals.
Persons ages 16 and 17 years of age must attend the initial orientation with a parent or legal guardian. The community service worker AND the parent/legal guardian must sign the release form provided by the Atlanta Humane Society prior to the teen completing community service hours.
Please carefully review the details below:
- Individuals completing community service MUST attend one community service orientation. Community service orientations are held every Wednesday at 9:30am SHARP at the Howell Mill Campus or Mansell Campus. Registration is not required.
- The types of offenses that are allowed include:
- Speeding Tickets
- Reckless Driving
- Other misdemeanors (at AHS discretion)
- Felony offenses are not eligible for community service with the Atlanta Humane Society. All individuals that have been court ordered to perform community service of five (5) or more hours MUST provide documentation verifying the type of offense.
- WE DO NOT ALLOW ANY VIOLENT OFFENSES, INCLUDING BATTERY, ASSAULT OR ANIMAL CRUELTY.
Please note: The community service orientation held at the Atlanta Humane Society ONLY grants you the ability to complete community service for the Atlanta Humane Society and no other non-profit organization or government agencies.
COMMUNITY SERVICE SHIFTS AT HOWELL MILL CAMPUS
- Morning Shift: 8:00am – 12:30pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Afternoon Shift: 12:30pm -5:00pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Evening Shift: 5:00pm – 7:00pm (ONE CS worker allowed for this Shift)
- Morning Shift: 8:00am – 1:00pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Afternoon Shift: 1:00pm -6:00pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
COMMUNITY SERVICE SHIFTS AT MANSELL CAMPUS
- Morning Shift: 8:30am – 12:30pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Afternoon Shift: 1:3 0pm – 5:30pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Evening Shift: 5:30pm – 7:30pm (ONE CS worker allowed for this Shift)
- Full Day Shift: 8:30am – 7:30pm
- Morning Shift: 7:30am – 11:30pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Afternoon Shift: 12:30pm – 4:30pm (SIX CS workers allowed for this shift)
- Evening Shift: 4:30pm – 6:30pm
- Full Day Shift: 7:30am – 6:30pm
Administrative Weekday Hours:
- Wednesday & Friday Only: 9:30am – 1:00pm
Shifts are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis and are non-negotiable. No phone call sign-ups are permitted. Please note that once you have completed your community service requirements, you may become a regular volunteer.
For more information, please attend the community service orientation at either campus. Need directions to one of our campuses?