Atlanta Humane Society (AHS) is a 501(c)3 tax exempt nonprofit (IRS Tax ID# 58-0685900) and one of the oldest private charitable organizations in Atlanta, founded in 1873 as a result of an earlier visit to the city by Robert E. Lee. The animal charity was originally chartered to protect women, children, and animals and remained a child protection and animal welfare society for 79 years. AHS, now a widely recognized pet adoption center, vet center, and educational program provider, was originally located on Marietta Street and moved to its present location at 981 Howell Mill Road in the 1930s. The Alpharetta campus at 1565 Mansell Road was opened in 2011.
Atlanta Humane Society serves about 25,000 animals each year, and places approximately 8,000 dogs and cats into forever homes. AHS is committed to finding homes for all adoptable pets. We do not euthanize adoptable animals, and there are no time limits for the animals once they are in our care. We only humanely euthanize those animals suffering from significant medical issues or that pose behavior concerns. We are proud to be a part of the solution to ending pet homelessness and overpopulation in the southeastern United States.